SC - controversy

Angie Malone alm4 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 2 13:47:27 PST 2000

Subject: SC - More contoversial subjects

.
> 1. You know, there are BOD rules against using Society Funds for special
> dishes to be fed to High Table only, but Atenveldt Royalty lives in
pavilions
> paid for by Society Funds at Estrella  Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
    I've observed that there are rules and there are rules. The rules are
whatever whoever is making the rules at the moment say they are, and they
worry about justifications later, if they bother worrying about it at all.
There's no oversight whatsoever, and virtually no accountability, so who
cares? Corpora is just a magic talisman that used to banish the dread demons
of the IRS.

> 2. Why do a lot of people say that medieval food was heavily overspiced?
> Isn't it just possible that medieval palates had not been polluted by
tobacco
> or industrial pollutants, so they would appreciate more subtle flavoring
than
> we moderns would?
    O' yeah. I don't smoke, and I can tell that my sense of smell is far
more acute than any smokers'. Watch the amount of salt and pepper being
shaken out by smokers and non smokers sometime. The difference is very
noticeable.

> 3. Why is it that we are all a pretty humorous bunch, except when our own
> private buttons are pushed?  I am not pointing at anyone but me here, it's
> just that recent things on this list made me ask myself: Why can I laugh
at
> the hypocrisies others display but get defensive when my own are
belittled?
> I really make an effort at this, because my one real prejudice is against
> intolerance, so I hate it when I am intolerant, but it is difficult,
because
> we are talking deeply buried stuff here.  It is especially difficult when
it
> comes to food, because food preferences go VERY deeply into the psyche.
    Ours is, if you will, the most altruistic of the artes. When we finish a
project, we have nothing to show for it but memories, the satisfaction of
having sating the appetites of the populace, and an incredibly messy
kitchen. We put as much time and effort into preparing a meal as an armorer
or garbmaker designing and building a presentation piece. However, when the
presentation is over, they have an item to keep. We do not, and the
ephemeral nature of our work makes it ever the more precious to us. Further,
we have a kitchen to clean up after everyone else has eaten and left.
   We are passionate about our craft. We put far more blood, sweat, and
tears into a major project than almost any other crafter. The planning for a
large Kingdom feast may well begin six months before the feast itself.
Preparations often begin a month before, as items are prepared and frozen
for later use. There are personality issues involved, there are questions of
availability, of transport, health issues, things which no other discipline
must face.
    And all that we ever have to show for it, in the final analysis, are the
expressions of appreciation from those who have enjoyed the fruits of our
effort. We do what we do from the purest of motives - we just want you to
eat good. We cook for the art, and the satisfaction of others.
    When these efforts are rejected and disparaged, the purity of our
efforts is tarnished. The very reason for our being is called into question.
The gift that we offer freely from our hearts is found wanting, and our
anger waxes great, indeed.

    Sieggy