SC - Allergies in general

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Mar 2 17:37:22 PST 2000

Mordonna wrote:
>Yes, and a larger gene pool.  Most of our ancestors weren't naturally
>selected for dietary hardiness as rigidly as yours were.

Could be ... I´ve no idea if fish allergy can be in any way genetically
influenced but any fish-allergy genes would have been bred out centuries
ago, that´s for sure.

Although a very interesting fact about the Icelandic gene pool has just been
revealed. A new, large gene study published yesterday very strongly
indicates that around 50% of the female settlers of Iceland came from the
British Isles, not Scandinavia. A similar study of the genes of the male
settlers has not been done yet but it will be extremely interesting to see
if there is a similar pattern there, or a completely different one. Either
way, as I see it this completely changes what we thought we knew about the
settlement of Iceland.

Nanna