SC - controversy

Aldyth@aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 19:02:43 PST 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

<< The Pinetree page says
 55 days, i assume (in my gross ignorance) that it's more or less how
 long they take to grow until edible...

That seems awfully short to me but I suppose they could be grown to small
edible stage in that time frame if you kept them well watered and fed
regularly. Edible gourds are rather rampant growers (almost like a weed) and
take up considerable space if allowed to ramble across the ground. They can
be grown successfully on a trellis or fence though. As I mentioned in my
earlier post there are several kinds of edible gourds, most of which get
quite a large fruit size when allowed to mature. Birdhouse gourd's (often
pictured in period illuminations), bushel gourds, Italian Edible gourds, and
loofas are only a portion of the edible Old World species available today.
Many of these can be found in the 'Kid's or specialty areas of the seed
section and are locally available at home building, supermarket and
agricultural stores this time of year.

Ras