SC - period pumpkin recipes?

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 19:07:28 PST 2000

Just a note from me and a quote from my allergist:

"You have allergies - whether or not you go into a fully blown anaphalactic
reaction.  Some allergies become worse with age and the amount you have
ingested.  Eggplant is one of those allergies that can crop up late in life
if you don't eat it often.  Your body builds up the toxins and is simply
unable to handle them after a certain point - that is why you have no
tolerance for walnuts and other foods"

This is *exactly* what was told to me when I went for a full panel of
tests - and was told that they had to test me in 4 panels because of the
allergies I did have and the reactions I had to them.  I was whining about
having to give up walnuts and asked if I could eat them "occasionally".
Unfortunately, I have found out exactly what my doctor meant after I had
problems swallowing after ingesting less than 1/4 of a nutmeat in a piece of
banana bread.  Up until I was about 30, I had no allergies that I was afraid
of other than penicillan (that can kill me in under 5 minutes - having your
heart stop beating is an unusual feeling...)  After 30, I noticed that I was
having 'problems'.

I always ask at feasts exactly what is in each food.  I had eaten at one
feast when I first started and neglected to find out what was in the stew.
I spent 3 days wondering when they were going to start the IV drip because
my gastro-intestinal system shut down from toxic overload (barley).  And one
desert was made with aspartame of all things! I thought I was safe at
feasts - you know, the periodocity and all. Again - several days spent with
a screaming migraine.

I agree that people should know what is in food they eat.  I also believe
firmly in my parents position of "try it once - if you don't like it, you
don't have to eat it anymore".  Then again, if I couldn't get past the smell
without doing the technicolour yawn, we decided it was best to stay away
from those foods.  Yoghurt is one deadly foe, tripe another.  And yet, I
love 'weird' foods -  steak and kidney pie, stewed heart, liver, and
probably other things I don't know I am eating.

Now, as long as I don't turn up an allergy to chocolate, the world will be a
fine place.

Diana d'Avignon