SC - Getting people to eat period food

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Mar 2 20:53:32 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/2/00 7:07:10 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< I'd been meaning to mention this... scungilli are actually knobbed
 whelks, not conch(s?)(es?). Conch(plural) have a shinier, more rounded
 shell, without siphon protuberances, while whelks tend to be more angular. >>

Master,

Source of information, please? In my early years as an 'Italian' professional
cook the words were used interchangeably. Also the dictionary supports my
view as noted below:

scun*gil*li (noun)

[Italian dialect (Neapolitan) scuncigli, plural of scunciglio conch]

First appeared 1945

 : conch used as food

Various quick flipping through assorted culinary dictionaries also say they
are synonymous. Whelks are not mentioned as an alternative for 'scungilli' in
any of those sources.

Ras