SC - Allergies in general

Ulric lazrus at rochester.infi.net
Thu Mar 2 21:34:08 PST 2000

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Did they REGULARLY drink hot drinks? How do we know?

Yes.  How regularly, pretty often.  How do we know, bibliographic references to
a variety of mixed drinks.  Many, many recipe books have recipes for possets
containing milk/cream; ale, wine or both; sometimes eggs, frequently nutmeg or
cinnamon, and always (that I've seen) sugar.  A lot like hot eggnog.  Mostly
drunk in the evening or as a restorative drink if I remember correctly.
Somewhere I have the recipe for Sir Walter Raleigh's posset which involves both
ale and sack.  When I wake up in the morning and my brain is working, I will try
to remember which other historical hot drinks belong to which historical
period.  ;>  I think I have more pre-1600 recipes.

- -Magdalena the too tired