SC - "What Every Peer Should Know" pamplet

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 3 03:39:57 PST 2000

david friedman wrote:

> 1. Do we know whether hippocras was served hot? It's how we usually
> serve it, but I don't think I have any evidence that it is how they
> served it.

I don't, and I don't. Maybe it depends on what recipe you use. I don't
remember anything said about the serving temperature, and I've always
served my Ypocras at room temperature.

> 2. The Andalusian cookbook has a whole chapter of drinks at the
> end--typically flavored syrups (sekanjabin is the best known of
> them). It explicitly says that some of them are supposed to be served
> hot. On the other hand, the chapter also contains a lot of medicinal
> comments, so it isn't clear whether they are thought of mainly as
> drinks or mainly as medicine.

Exactly. Which is my thought on many possets and milk-based drinks.

> 3. My vague memory is that some of the beer based drinks were served
> hot. Braggot? Lambs wool?

No idea.

My main wonder though is still this- are any of these drunk in a manner
anything like how we moderns drink coffee? We crave it in the morning,
we drink it all day long, and through the evening too. Our love affair
with hot drinks- coffee being the most popular of them- is as much
social as food. Is there an analog in period? I don't think that
Elizabeth just _had_ to have her posset in the morning or Essex wouldn't
dare come near. Did Omar the Tentmaker wander around his home looking
for the mug of hot sekanjabin (his third for the morning) because he'd
set it down and couldn't remember where? Did an inn in Abbeville attract
more traffic than it's neighbor because of a superior blend of ypocras
spices?

A little facetious maybe, but I want to think about the _behavior_ we
show regarding coffee- and find out if there was similar behavior in
period culture. 'Lainie out on a limb, if you must (just don't push me
off!)

And no, I'm not a coffee drinker myself. This is outside observation.

'Lainie