SC - hiding ingredients

Fri Mar 3 08:26:24 PST 2000

> The plant in the picture you are referring to looks more like a Bird House
>
> Gourd to me which is not a Cucurbita. If you are looking specifically for
> members of that family, you will only find melons and cucumbers in the old
>
> world. Gourds are not members of the Cucurbita family.
>
> Ras

Pardon Ras, but you have a terminology error.  Gourds are members of the
family Cucurbitaceae.  They are not part of the genus Cucurbita.

The true gourd are all members of the genus Lagenaria.  The New World
squashes and pumpkins belong to genus Cucurbita.  Cucumbers and melons,
other than the watermelons belong to genus Cucumis.  The watermelons are
members of genus Citrullis.  There is also a genus Luffa, which contains the
plants used to make bath sponges (originating in the Old World tropics).

As a small aside, I've been told the California okra (Luffa cylindrica) is
edible.  We may actually be able to serve people sponge for dessert.

Bear