SC - period mead recipes

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Mar 3 11:09:05 PST 2000

Christina Nevin wrote:

> A rather off-the-track recipe request for you all - twice baked biscuits. (I
> don't think they're period? anyone?) <vague notions of something similar in
> one of the later German books but I could be very wrong>
>
> Anyway, I don't particularly care for biscuits/cookies, but I love biscotti
> with my coffee. Finances are about to hit a rough patch (hoorah! I'm now
> looking for my very own flat to buy!), so I am economizing - meaning no more
> expensive packets of my favorite Italian-made luxuries. There's a multitude
> of recipes for them on the web (too many in fact!), so does anyone have a
> recipe they have made and so can _personally_ recommend? You can email them
> to me direct. MTIA,

Some biscotti are nothing more than biscuits/cookies, while others are
in fact twice-baked. Which, BTW, is what the word "biscuit" means.

Are you referring to those heavy-ish, kneaded loaves that get baked,
sliced and baked again like rusks or hardtack? Examples of this type
would include, say, those red-wine almond biscotti, so called not
because they contain red wine, but because you are supposed to be able
to chew them after dipping them in red wine. Other versions of a similar
product might include biscotti flavored with aniseed or cumin.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com