SC - Cooking fun at work-or dragging people into the middle ages...

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Fri Mar 3 17:49:01 PST 2000

> > Stefan asks:
> >
> > >Huh??? Is there such a thing? Or is this a metaphor? If this
> > >hand-out is real, how can I get a copy (I assume it is also
> > >available to us peons)? And in addition, I would love to know
> > >who holds the copyright as I think such an article, or series
> > >of articles, would make a wonderful addition to the
> > >Florilegium.

 I think that a collection of opinions placed in the florilegium would be a
grand thing, but not necessarily as a single definitive pamphlet.
After all, the Crown recognises a peer, and elevates that person because of
what there are and what they have done and what they will continue to do.
The West's ceremony for both Laurels and Pelicans states this clearly when
the King asks:

Will you now give Us your word that you will henceforth comport yourself as
befits a peer of Our Realm, as you most surely have until now, and that you
will attempt in all your endeavours to be a noble example to Our people?

And the Queen asks:

Will you promise further to treat all with Courtesy, and to uphold the Laws
and traditions of Our Kingdom?

My point is that if a person hasn't already got a decent grip on the peerage
qualities required in their Kingdom, they should not be elevated.  In my
experience a candidate's perceived ability to cope with the public scrutiny
and fitness to be a good example is often debated long and hard in council.

I am aware that the system is not perfect.  The requirements in Corpora are
a little brief.  I think a collection of opinions from different
perspective's  would definitely help.

>Steffan of the Close said:
> I was very fortunate to get a simple lesson on what it means to
> be a "Peer", from a Royal-Pel-Laurel. Simply put she stated, "It
> is the responsibility of all peers to ensure the continuation of
> the SCA."
>
> She then went on to explain very simply, each of the roles of
> the four peerages.
>
> The Knight:
>   Should exemplify and thus be a model to all of chivalry, honor
> and duty.  As well as continue the promotion of the battle arts.
>
> The Laurel:
>   These are the ones who make sure that the arts and sciences are
> never lost.  This is done through both example and a willingness
> to teach their arts.
>
> The Pelican:
>   They are responsible or making sure that the underlying
> structure and organization survive.  This not only includes
> continued service, but also teaching others the ways of giving
> honorable service and how to be accountable for their accepted
> responsibilities.

I found this a little negative for the Laurels and Pels, in that it was all
about holding the stuatus quo and not about building and leading, whereas
the Chivalry got to 'promote the battle arts'

> The Royal Peer:
>   Their primary responsibility is to the people.  To take their
> (the populaces) concerns about the SCA to heart and to show them
> that there is more to being royalty than just winning a tourney.
> This is done through leadership and not by demand.  Since they
> are the most visible part of the SCA, they must always act in
> such a way as to maintain the goodness of the SCA in the eyes
> of all those around them at all times.

I certainly agree with the description except, I would have said the Knights
are the most visible, not the Royal Peers.
 I once put an analogy to my apprentice that to the populace' eyes,  in the
procession that is the SCA, the Knight rides the horse, wearing the clothes
and anticipating the feast, researched by the Laurel, in a parade arranged
by the Pelican, while the Royal Peers looked on carrying the ceremonial
tradition.  But if the populace don't attend then it is empty vanity.

> All of this came as a result of my asking her why she took a
> certain individual as a protege <sp>.  Her answer was, that since
> there is no real training to become a Royal Peer, she felt that
> it then became her responsibility as a Pelican and Royal Peer to
> teach potential Royals how to care and open their hearts when it
> came to matters of the SCA.
>
> I know that this is not part of the cooks list's goals, but I
> found it quite enlightening.

I think that as some of us are, or would hope, to be elevated to the peerage
through cooking, that this list is an excellent place to discuss these
things.

Esla  of Ifeld (OL, OP etc etc, primarily for cooking, and married to the
same)
mka Sue Carter
Innilgard, Lochac