SC - Scungilli versus conch

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 18:43:17 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/2/00 11:32:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
campcook at uswestmail.net writes:

<< Spices should basically be identifiable, with
 a few oddballs such as cubebs and galengale, maybe one or two
 more. >>

Perhaps you meant a few medieval spices that are not usually seen in modern
European cookery? Both the spices you name were common (much more common than
black pepper) in the middle ages and their use today in Thailand and other
countries in cookery statistically means they are still COMMON in the world
today. I think the word 'oddball' is ill used in this situation.

Also while such a competition is fun, for purposes of a cooks/Trimarian
challenge, it does nothing to show that period food was good and desirable.
It would only show how many period-like dishes could be made from a box of
ingredients which were chosen not on the basis of actual period recipes.

Again I like the Challenge idea but can't see how such a challenge at the
cooks/Trimaris level would do much except encourage folks to fiddle with
modern style cooking using period ingredients.

Ras