SC - period pumpkin recipes?

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 4 02:02:01 PST 2000

Anahita the ever curious (uh, oh. Not another Stefan :-) ) asks:
> So, trying to find something else to drink at feasts, besides water
> and sekanjaben, i ask:
>
> Was almond milk drunk as a beverage in period?

Good question. I don't think I've seen it asked here before. Although it
may have already been answered, since I'm now so far behind, you might
want to take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my files:
almond-milk-msg   (47K)  5/27/99    Making almond milk. Recipes.
Deskinning nuts

Even if it isn't in there, perhaps some of the various hints and directions
on making almond milk will prove useful.

As for beverages other than sekanjaben, take a look at some of the files
in my BEVERAGES section:
beverages-msg     (93K)  9/ 3/99    Beverages in general. alcholic drinks.
beverages-NA-msg  (80K)  9/ 2/99    Non-alcoholic beverages.
caudles-art       (12K) 11/21/97    A medieval drink of warm wine or
beer
                                       thickened with eggs by Tibor.
cider-art         (23K) 10/31/95    Article on brewing ciders.
cider-msg         (36K) 10/29/98    Apple and other ciders. Cider presses.
infusions-msg      (8K)  1/20/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.
jalabs-msg        (48K) 12/ 2/99    Drinks with a sugar or honey-syrup
base such
                                       as Sekanjabin (Persian Mint Drink).
  (While sekanjabin is one of these, perhaps some of the other varieties will
strike your fancy if sekanjabin doesn't or you are just bored with it)
kumiss-msg        (26K)  6/24/98    Mongol drink made from mare's milk.
kvass-msg         (57K) 10/ 8/99    Russian drink made from bread or grains.
perry-msg          (9K)  8/24/99    A cider made with pear juice.
spiced-wine-msg   (19K)  2/29/00    Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
  (Spices seem to have been used in some of the poorer wines in period. Perhaps
you could add some of these to the wines that folks offer than you don't think
are quite up to your expectations.)
wassail-msg       (15K) 12/17/99    Spiced cider and ale drinks. Traditions.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net