SC - Re: Alcohol in food (RANT)

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 07:31:35 PST 2000

> <<  I know many recovering alcoholics
>  who avoid foods with added alcohol because the flavor can trigger
>  a craving in them.  >>
>
> By the way, I AM a recovering alcoholic.  I have found that in my case, at
> least, this is a fallacy.  For anyone who is counting, I celebrated eleven
> years clean on my last NA birthday.

More likely, the tiny bit of residual alcohol (and, yes, there always is
some, unless you're cooking your feast in an autoclave,) will trigger a
chemical reaction in the people who are on a particular drug to combat
alcoholism.  I don't remember the name of it, but it causes severe
nausea in people who are on it and try to consume even the tiniest bit
of alcohol.  The idea, of course, is to make them so sickened by the
idea of booze that they won't touch it.  Would you really want them to
be that sickened by your feast?  ;)

Even without that drug, though, I think it is deceitful and unethical to
hide ingredients, even if I feel that a person's reasoning for avoiding
an ingredient is illogical or silly.  For instance, I would counter "I
don't want my children to be exposed to alcohol in food" with, "Have you
ever made a cake with vanilla extract and/or food coloring?"  But I
wouldn't tell that person that he shouldn't raise his child as he sees
fit, or decieve him because I think his argument is ridiculous.

Magdalena vander Brugghe