SC - Great Cooks

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 08:15:20 PST 2000

David/Cariadoc wrote:

>I introduced sekanjabin to the SCA for the specific purpose of
>replacing iced tea (Salaamallah, I believe, independently introduced
>it, probably for the same purpose). Like iced tea it is a cold drink
>that is very inexpensive and very little trouble. Unlike iced tea, it
>is a drink that was in common use in period--albeit in the civilized
>world, not among the Franks.

In my local-ish area (Midrealm) sekanjabin is sometimes offered, but the
tastes of the person who made it can often turn off the folk to whom the
beverage is served.  Frequently it is so vinegary that it is nearly
undrinkable.  Sometimes it is far too strong, even though the sweet and
sour have been balanced.  This, unfortunately, has led most feast cooks
to say that they won't serve/drink it.  I wonder if the person blending
the mixture actually tastes it??  Or, did _they_ first taste it from
someone who made it too vinegary/too strong and then assumed that all
sekanjabin has to taste that way?

Alys Katharine