SC - Re: (Gunthar's Challenge)

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Sat Mar 4 15:59:48 PST 2000

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/4/2000 11:13:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
> magdlena at earthlink.net writes:
>
> <<  What about those of us with a love of herbal teas and hot cider?  No
>  caffeine, little to no sugar.
>   >>

> That's a pretty sweeping statement,

    True, and I stand by it.  While it is true that some herbal teas have loads
of caffeine, most do not.  The people I know who drink herbals exclusively do so
because the teas they are drinking are without caffeine.  I turn to herbals
instead of tea leaf based teas when I'm too strung out for caffeine in my hot
drinks.  I drink them with very little sugar for the same reason.  My point is
that the custom of hot drinks is not exclusively linked to caffeine/sugar
cravings.  Actually, now that I think about it, I think that there is a strong
medical linkage.  The most common herbals I know (mint & chamomile) are good for
relaxation and upset stomachs.
    I like hot drinks because they warm me in cold places, soothe my throat, and
settle my stomach after a big meal.  (BTW, if you haven't tried Brangwayna's hot
lemonade recipe, you should.  ;>  There is nothing like it for cold winter
events.)

- -Magdalena the suddenly thoughtful

(mulled cider with sugar is nasty!)