SC - Redacted recipes for Duncan

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Mar 4 21:18:15 PST 2000

Jerusalem Kugel

2 tsp salt
1pound fine egg noodles
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp cinnamon

Cook noodle until they are al dente and drain.  Combine noodles with other
ingredients.  Make sure the ingredients are mixed well.  Place in greased
circular baking pan and bake at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until golden
brown on top.  Remove from pan and serve.

According to several cookbooks this recipe originated in Vilna in the house
of the Gaon of Vilna.  The Gaon was a great rabbi around the late 1700's.
Some of his followers set up a colony in Jerusalem around the turn of the
20th century.  That is how the Kugel got its present name.  The Gaon is
reported to have had twin daughters.  Those daughters were my great
grandmothers.  Luckshon Kugel (noodle pudding) has many other recipes and
can be traced to period according to various sources that I have found.

Sindara