SC -menu & looking for recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 5 00:49:12 PST 2000

Magdalena posted:
> The edition of Tusser I have at home, which is primarily 1557 with some 1571
> collated in, has a section of tables at the back called "Of Herbs and Flowers"
> which contains the only reference to Pompione (in the book) I could find.
>
> Herbs and Roots, To Boil or To Butter
> 1.   Beanes, set in winter.
> 2.   Cabbeigis, sowe in March, and after remove
> 3.   Carrets
> 4.   Cytrons, sowe in May
> 5.   Gourdes, in May
> 6.   Nauewes, sowe in June.
> 7.   Pompione, in May
> 8.   Parseneps, in winter.
> 9.   Roncivall pease, set in winter.
> 10. Rapes, sow in June.
> 11. Turneps, in March and April.

Thank you Magdalena for posting this useful information. We have only talked
a little about what was in season when and my file on this is still rather
small. If anyone else has similar lists, preferably from period sources, I'd
love to see it. And include it in the Florilegium. :-)

If anyone cares, the file is:
food-seasons-msg   (8K) 12/16/99    When various foods were in season.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net