SC - Re: period Norse

Branwen branwen at ona-stella.com
Sun Mar 5 16:51:46 PST 2000

Ras wrote:

>To a person living in any given location, any food from another area could
be
>considered 'weird.' Some foods which I have seen termed as 'weird' by some
>are not unusual by any sense of the word.

You know, at a cooking site I often visit, there is currently a thread about
"what is the most unusual or weird food you´ve ever cooked or eaten?" or
something like that. I was going to post something to that thread but
suddenly I realized that I couldn´t recall to have ever eaten anything at
all that I would categorize as "weird". A couple of American jello salads
might come close, but other than that, no.

For instance, I was invited to dinner yesterday evening and was served
roasted fillet of seal. Not really everyday food around here (except in a
few outlying districts). But weird? No. Nor do I consider any of the
Icelandic delicacies I´ve often described to the list to be weird, even if
they may sound very strange to you.

So, I decided in the end not to add anything to that discussion, because I
truly couldn´t say I had ever eaten anything I considered weird - although
if I had, the other participiants would probably have thought I had eaten
far more weird things than anyone else ...

Nanna