SC - to candy violets

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Sun Mar 5 21:06:19 PST 2000

> Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 17:56:03 -0800
> From: Ron and Laurene Wells <tinyzoo at aracnet.com>
> Subject: SC - Native American "coffee".
>
> >ate: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 15:56:28 -0500
> >From: "Jeff Gedney" <JGedney at dictaphone.com>
> >Subject: Re: SC - Coffee, Tea, and OOP
> >
> >I know that in (very late) period, that at least some Native American
> peoples
> >had a "black drink" that was made from treebark, and from the description
> >of effects, it was probably caffeinated.
> >
> >It is described several times in Elizabethan accounts of voyages to
America.

> >Brandu
> >

> That black drink, from my knowledge of Native Americans, was most likely
> made from CHIKORY, depending on the region the NA's were from.  In the
West
> at least, they made a Coffee tasing drink from roasted Chickory.  And no,
> I'm not exactly sure how to spell it.
>
> - -Laurene

    The black drink was not a daily, regular beverage. According to what
I've read and heard, it was a special ceremonial drink.  My husband is an
archaeologist, specializing in South Eastern Spanish contact period, and
told me that the drink was under a lot of discussion as to the ingredients,
effects, and uses. My husband and Dr. Marvin T. Smith of Valdosta State
University have attempted to recreate one form of the drink with
questionable success.
    There was a black drink, a green drink and a white drink, all lumped
under the term. At least on was very hightly caffinated, one was a
purgative, and one was frothed. They were served in conch shells. Roasted
vomitoria leaves was at least one of the drinks, but not chicory..
    It was recorded that the Spanish monks got so "attatched" to one of
these drinks that they would lay about them with ladles if they weren't
served first. This helped lead to the Appalachee Uprising.

Siobhan ni Ahearn