SC - Starter Recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Mar 6 03:49:40 PST 2000

One thing that might help some of you new Cooks, is watching "Emeril Live"
on Food TV. I had been meaning to mention this to Stefan in his search to
become a better cook, but since we've had a couple of other new cooks
stepping forward on the List, I thought I might make it a general
suggestion.

Not only is Emeril very entertaining, he explains quite a bit about what
techniques he's using, and why, substitution of ingredients if you don't
like or can't get some he's using, and he's been running a couple of
interesting series of shows, one being about doing special recipes for
special holidays, the other being on specific ingredients, such as,
recently, wines, coffee, and citrus, where he will explain a bit about the
various types of whatever it is, then do recipes using different forms of
these ingredients. No, Stefan, he hasn't run one on boiling water yet-
though he has mentioned that water doesn't come seasoned out of the tap, and
he's demonstrated the difference between a rolling boil and a simmer ;-P

In all seriousness, though, he does run a very informative show, which,
while it obviously isn't on Medieval cooking, might help some of you learn
and observe some basic cooking techniques. He actually rather reminds me of
Adamantius, with his willingness to teach without being over-bearing or
condescending about it.

If you can get it, watch it or tape it.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous