OT:OP: was SC - Kosher Plants Hygienic, HAH!

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Mon Mar 6 06:22:46 PST 2000

Magdalena wrote:

> Wajdi wrote:
>
> > Just a question to kick around; wouldn't Everclear be a reasonable substitution
> > (considering US law) for aquavitae?
> >
> Tastes disgusting, even in cordials.  Period aquavitae recipes usually involve
> distilling wine, which would give you brandy.  Unless I've lost my mind (always a
> possibility), Everclear is a grain alcohol.

A grain alcohol, and also not especially well treated (i.e. filtered,
aged, etc.) to help deal with some volatile esters that can be part of
the distillation process at certain temperatures.

You also can be poisoned by the stuff if you drink it as you would, say
vodka, if you're a bit off on your math. Considering that pure ethyl is
used as a disinfectant because it denatures proteins on contact, you
should probably consider some very serious dilution before considering
putting it into your body.

Another, more academic, consideration is that the spice flavorings would
be different. Most of the above-mentioned cordial recipes for aquavitae
and such involve infusing the spices in wine lees and distilling it all.
You'd be getting different chemicals from your spices, and in different
proportions, than you'd get by infusing the spices in spirits, dilute or
otherwise.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy