SC - Cooking Shows WAS: Starter Recipes

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Mar 6 09:17:51 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/6/00 8:45:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za writes:
>
> <<  Is this a particularly Southern African
>  abomination?? >>
>
> Not really. A currently widely available brand of coffee in the USA is Chock
> Full O'Nuts which contains lots of chicory. It is quite tasty and very
> smooth, IMO, and I buy it occasionally.

I didn't know CFON was made with chicory. There may be more than one
line for different regional markets, of course. But yes, there have been
various roasted _things_ added to coffee either for preference or as an
economy/conservation measure, for many years. Another consideration is
the decaf angle. People who for one reason or another were medically
barred from drinking real coffee, or needed to drink less, had the
option of drinking substitutes such as Postum, a beverage made from, I
think, ground roasted barley, in addition to chicory. It tastes fairly
similar to coffee, has no caffeine, and none of the bitter oils that can
become prevalent in either badly-made or really dark-roasted coffee.
it's not as bad as it might sound to the uninitiated.

CFON, BTW, is not a reference to the coffee itself, but rather to the
cake sold at the chain of Chock-Full-o'-Nuts coffee shops.

I am told that at an early stage of the evolution of the CFON jingle,
the line was, "Better coffee a Rockefeller's [John D., presumably] money
can't buy."

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy