SC - Religious dietary restrictions

GUILLANEDV@aol.com GUILLANEDV at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 17:04:00 PST 2000

Tara wrote:
>- -Magdalena wrote:
>>...although a few recipes do call for steeping your whatever in
>  >aquavitae or brandy.
>
>What are the sources of those recipes?  I've been looking for recipes
>steeping whatever in brandy, but the only one I've found so far is
>Martha Washington's "To make Cinnamon Water without distilling", which
>sounds like more like an exception than the rule.  All the steeping
>recipes I've come across seem to be from significantly out of period,
>when brandy and aqua vitae were (presumably) more commonly available.
>I'd love to be proved wrong...

So far, Tara, from what i've seen, you are correct, that is, the only
recipes i've seen for what passes as cordial around here are OOP,
either slightly or grossly (such as the "Sex In a Bottle"
chocolate-mint stuff, etc.).

But there's a little problem: distilling (except for making one's own
flower waters) is not legal in the US. So if one wants to make a
cordial, medicinal, or other alcoholic liquid, one has to make it by
steeping the ingredients in a distilled liquor, rather than
distilling wine or other liquid oneself.

At least, that's how it seems to me.

Obviously, this does not apply to SCAdians who live where personal
distilling is not illegal.

Anahita al-shazhiyya
still hoping someone will answer her related question in the aqua
vitae thread...