SC - Gulf War? was SC-RE:Gunther's Challenge

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 20:19:00 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 6 Mar 00,, that Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> And I agree with you.  Most people do not make any connection with the
> protein part of their meals.
>
> Phillipa
> (I've started to which is why I have become almost totaly vegan)

When I made the lamb dish this weekend, I bought the meat at a local
Pakistani grocery.  Judging from the price lists, their most popular
meats are lamb and goat, and they will sell either animal whole or in
halves.  I ordered 2+ pounds of lamb rib.  The butcher walked into the
fridge and brought out an entire lamb carcass, complete with head.  It
"stared" at me for a moment before he cut the head off and tossed it
aside.  I found the experience uncomfortable, but I figured that it was the
part of the price of being a carnivore.

I have to say that our area of northern New Jersey is blessed with many
ethnic food stores that carry all kinds of interesting goods.  At this
same Pakistani grocery, I picked up a spare bottle of rosewater, as well
as some pomegranate molasses (there's a recipe I want to redact Real
Soon Now -- a sauce of almond milk drawn up with pomegranate juice
and spices).  One of the local supermarkets has started carrying all
kinds of organ meats, I think in an attempt to compete with the meat
department of a large Chinese grocery in the same town.  Now, if I could
only find a local source of real verjuice...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net