SC - Food Ingredients Posting

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 23:01:37 PST 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> So i really have no idea what brandy to buy to make medicinal
> cordials "period" style.
>
> I surely wouldn't need the very best (like VVSOP or anything like
> that), but i'd rather not have "Generic" brand Rotgut Brandy.

I have this fifth of Henri Baron (Napoleon VSOP) French brandy. It's not
Cognac, it's cheap, and fine for my purposes. I specifically chose a
French brandy as opposed to a cheap American product.

In Oregon, all liquors are sold in state stores (wine and beer in wine
shops and grocery stores). Not every store stocks every liquor the state
buys and stocks (yes, the state purchases the booze from the
makers/distributors, then resells it to the local store), but we can
look at the state list and request a specific bottle for special orders.
I suggest you check what your store stocks, and check into what they can
get.

> Also, there's a liquor called aquavit (sp) from Sweden. Is this
> suitable or is it anise or otherwise flavored or just a sort-of-vodka
> by another name?

Yes, usually anise flavoured. Usually potato distillate, too.

Seumas