SC - cherry tarts & A tarte to provoke courage

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Mar 7 06:07:57 PST 2000

actually, if you start with a roasted or toasted barley malt to make your mash, the distillate will vary in color based on efficiency of your distillation rig.  At higher temps, you can boil off some of the colored agents in addition to your alcohol spirits (think of distilling inefficiently a scotch ale or porter, for instance).  Granted, in today's production factories, they have computer driven sensors and regulators, so this point could be moot in seeking comercial brands.

Another unsubstantiated item to consider is the container used to catch the spirits.  While not relatively long in that container, the spirit could pick up some color, tannin, and other flavors from new wood or charred wood.  Glass was around, but not neccessarily ubiquitous for this process.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> I often use vodka. My reasoning is simple, and it isn't that it's cheeper. Understand the limits of print and know that I'm not trying to be snippy or
anything but....

I use vodka because the recipes I've seen most often describe a freshly
distilled spirit, not one that has been aged in wood or colored with
whatever. What came out of the cooling worms in those still houses was white
liquor. Since I come from a long line of people engaged in that sort of
business I can promise you that much. I would be GLAD to use a spirit
distilled from wine if someone could point out to me one that I could use
that wasn't aged and colored to begin with.

Please excuse the boldness of my statement, but put me on to a grape spirit
that is white and I'll drop vodka like a hot potato (except for haroka).

Corwyn