SC - Feast Beverages

RichSCA@aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 07:00:26 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 7 Mar 00,, that Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Thomas said:
> > "A Tarte to provoke courage either in man or Woman.
[snip]

> Since I don't believe Thomas gave the source, although I assume
> this is late period, I'm not sure.

It's from "The Good Huswifes Jewell", 1596.

> What is the final dish? A beverage or a thick cream-like thing?
> A caudle perhaps? "let it boil till it be something big"???
> Would this froth up?

I judge from the title that it's the filling for a tart, though probably a
crustless tart since it is to be cooked over some coals rather than
baked in the oven.  I don't think, with the potatoes and the egg yolks,
that it could be thin enough to be drinkable.  I think you're going to get a
solidly set substance.  There's only a quart of wine, lots of starchy stuff
to absorb and thicken it, and 8 egg yolks to finish coagulating the liquid.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net