SC - Birthday Wishes

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Mar 7 14:24:58 PST 2000

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:27:03 EST Seton1355 at aol.com writes:
> Hi Everyone,
> I am going to make Scotch Eggs for Friday.  I've read the recipe but
> never actually made them before.  Some advice please.
>
> 1.   Wrapping a 5-6 minute egg in ground beef / turkey sausage....
> How hard boiled is the egg at that point?  Wouldn't it just gush
> out, OR do you just wrap very carfully & gingerly?

	I would not necessarily under-boil the egg just because it will be
cooked again.  The main trick when frying them is to get the sausage to
cook long enough without burning, and to heat the egg inside all the way
through, but I wouldn't count on it really adding doneness to the egg .
Using a frying temp of 300 - 325 is best.  You can also cut your eggs in
half and then wrap them, as the whole ones tend to be quite large.  This
is an especially good idea if you are going to be serving these with
other foods.
And yes, wrap very gingerly.  I have never seen this done with beef
sausage, ony pork and turkey.

> 2.How thick a coating of ground sausage do you give each egg?

	About 1/3 - 1/2 inch.  You want to make sure it will not break open and
expose the egg underneath to the frying oil.  By the way, something I
rarely see in S.E. recipes that I consider a very important step.  When
you are assembling them, dip the egg itself in egg wash, and then apply
the sausage.  This holds true even if you are doing half or quarter eggs.
 (Most recipes take you from there to then dip the whole thing in egg
wash, and then roll in breadcrumbs - a step you can omit if you want.
The breadcrumbs tend to burn, anyway.)  The eggwash layer between the egg
and the sausage will keep the whole thing stuck together as a unit.
Without it, you get the egg rolling around inside the sausage casing, and
it becomes difficult to eat it.  Remember to serve this with a mild
mustard sauce, mmm, where did you say you would be serving these on
Friday? ;)

> 3 Is another name for Scotch Eggs:  "hedgehogs"?

Nope.  Those are meatballs with almond slivers, made to look like
bristling hedgehogs.  As far as I know, Scotch Eggs are not period.
Tasty, but not period.
	Good luck,
	Christianna