SC - Food Ingredients Posting

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 7 15:11:14 PST 2000

>I can't say that I fall into one category or another, but I don't know
too many
 >folks who got pelicans for cooking. Do any of you? If so, how do you
 >categorize their cooking? Inquiring minds, etc....
> Aoife

	Ok, I'll take a stab at this one.  I think we have covered this topic
before, and as you say, the implied generalities get shot down pretty
fast.  I don't see any reason why it should be one way or the other, and
don't think it usually falls completely on one side of that (imaginary?
arbitrary?) line or the other.  From your descriptions, I think I would
have to go for the Pelican's kitchen, just because I want to be fed hot
food in a timely manner, if it is artistic and sucks, that doesn't cut
it.  BUT - I don't want modern food when I sit down at an SCA feast,
either.  (Another rant from last week that you missed, basically, I can
go to a modern restaurant and eat modern food if I want to, and can hold
the cooks and wait staff accountable if my food is incorrectly prepared
or late.)
Being a Pelican doesn't mean you can run an effective kitchen, anymore
than being a Laurel means you are a great cook.  (Pelicans, Laurels, and
great cooks of this list excepted, of course ;)
	I am a Pelican, but I did not get it just for feastcratting.  In fact,
we do not specify an area for any of our Peers here in Meridies.  Folks
obviously have their specialty areas, but being well-versed in several
areas is more likely the case.

>I find this all faintly insulting, (my kitchens are always, if nothing
else,
>emphatically clean, well run and scheduled,  in addition to producing
highly
>historical food that almost never hits the garbage can. It's a personal
rule
>of mine--if no one will eat it, it won't get cooked for feast).

	Yep, that's pretty much my philosophy as well.  My periodicity gets
better as time goes on, especially with the advantage of the SCA Cook's
List and the sources available on the internet.  Rather than insulting
(which it certainly could be read as) it seems just too stereotypical,
can there really be such a clear dividing line in his area (sorry, I lost
it, was it Aethylmarc?).
	Unfortunately (for the dining populace, I guess, not for me) I don't do
many large feasts anymore, they just got to be too much work.  However, I
do have proteges and other students that ARE cooking large feasts, and
the emphasis is almost always on good food, served promptly, with good
documentation and menus.
	Does that muddy the waters sufficiently?
	Christianna