SC - Wierd vs. tasty tidbit

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 7 21:58:59 PST 2000

Allison said:
>  The possibilities exist for all sorts of delicious iced herb teas,
> though.  It just doesn't have the caffeine, and M. Christianna can
> probably give us an herb suggestion to keep us bright-eyed and
> busy-tailed.

Although very little evidence has been given to support the use of
herbal teas in period, I think it sounds plausible considering some
of the things they did make beverages out of. (mare's milk, birch sap,
for instance). But as little evidence as there seems to be for herb
teas, I think there is even less evidence for iced beverages, much
less for iced herb teas.

> There's also apple juice and other fruit juices.  I haven't come across
> documentation for herb-tea/fruit juice punch, as I have for sweet
> cordials of herbs to drink, but, again, if we have to comply with modern
> law and not serve alcoholic beverages to everyone in Hall, then we need
> to stay a little closer to possibilities.

The key reason is probably that without refrigeration or preservatives,
those fruit drinks will ferment rather quickly.

I would love to see more of the details you might have on herb-teas.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net