SC - OT- Fat Tuesday!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Mar 7 22:36:33 PST 2000

Morgan Irae said:
> I will check out Stephan's site from work (where I have a T1 line and can
> navigate MUCH more quickly).  I hope, as others have expressed, I don't get
> lost in there!  :-)

The easiest way to explore the Florilegium is probably to download the text
or rtf version of the filelist that can be found in most sections. Although
the one currently there is a month or more out-of-date. I'll try to update
it, soon. Then print it out. It should be around 25 or 26 pages. Many people
find it easier to look through the filelist to find out which files they
are interested in rather than through the multiple web pages.

The file update-files in the IMPORTANT STUFF section lists the files that
have been updated starting last March in chronological order. But this
will probably be of little interest when you first start looking.

> As to types of foods I'm used to cooking, I mostly work with meats and
> pastas now (as I said, I am truly a novice cook).  I am also best at cooking
> food by means of baking (this includes meats).

You might want to check these files in the FOOD section:
pasta-msg         (66K) 12/16/99    Period pasta. Period referances. Recipes.
roast-meats-msg   (49K)  1/28/00    Hints and period recipes for beef roasts.
roast-pork-msg    (23K)  2/14/00    Cooking pork roasts. Medieval recipes.
pastries-msg      (85K) 10/13/98    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
lamb-mutton-msg   (54K) 12/ 7/99    Medieval lamb and mutton. Recipes.

I don't have a file specifically on baked food recipes, although there
is a file on medieval ovens, ovens-msg.

> Meanwhile, if you know the names of any particular books or have any good
> recipes, pass them along please.

You might look at some of the files in the FOOD-BOOKS section such as:
cb-novices-msg    (13K) 10/14/98    Cookbooks for those new to medieval cooking.
cookbooks-SCA-msg (20K)  1/ 7/00    Cookbooks written by people in the SCA.
cooking-bib       (14K)  1/24/95    Bibliography on cooking sources.

Like you, I knew little about either medieval or modern cooking before I
joined this list almost three years ago. (Boy it doesn't seem like it;s been
that long!). I'm still a beginner, but I've learned alot and keep learning
more from this list.

Feel free to ask questions. Sometimes I find the questions I am almost
embarrassed to ask, are the ones that stir up the most discussion.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net