In defense of Canute (was Re: SC - Re: Period Norse)

Gerekr@aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 11:09:38 PST 2000

Branwen wrote:

> In an attempt to eat a bit healthier, I wish to eat more salad - and force
> some down the throat of my fiance as well. We're pretty much stuck in the
> iceburg-tomato-cucumber-crouton-ranch dressing rut (although I made a nice
> salad nicoise once). Does anyone have ideas for creative, healthy salads,
> preferrably ones that don't require a ton of dressing? I'd love to try some
> period ones!

First, stop using Iceberg lettuce! It is just cellulose and water- no
flavor, and virtually no vitamins or other nutritive value.

Try leaf lettuce, red or green, romaine, spinach, escarole, butter
lettuce, endive, radicchio... there's lots of stuff. Also, try cutting
herbs into the greens. For instance, in the summer when the leaves are
big, I use basil as though it were a green. Is VERY yummy! Also parsley,
thyme, mint, rosemary, oregano, chervil arugula (in small quantities- it
can be very bitter), a little sage, watercress...

As for period salads, there's an excellent one in _Forme of Cury_ (in
_Curye on Inglysch_) #78- "Salat. Take persel, sawge, grene garlec,
chibolles, oynouns, leek, borage, myntes, porrettes, fenel, and toun
cressis, rew, rosemarye, purslarye; laue and waische hem clene. Pike
hem. Pluk hem small with thyn honde, and myng hem wel with rawe oile;
lay on vinegar and salt, and serue it forth."

There are many of this ilk, but I like this because there are so many
choices! And no mention of lettuce. Maybe there's no room left in the
bowl!

'Lainie