SC - Zesting lemons (was "My experiment")

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 10 03:38:15 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/9/00 7:00:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> rygbee at montana.com writes:
>
> << It means to take out. >>
>
> :-). Different diners different languages. :-)
>
> Ras

I've been noticing the occasional discrepancy, between conditions as
reported and my own experience with diners. They don't talk this way at
Chicama... ;  ). I also understood "putting legs on it" as meaning "to
go", because for practical purposes there is no such thing as a rush
order in a diner. Orders will sometimes be bumped ahead in the queue,
though, in which case the order will be _drop_ Adam and Eve on a raft,
etc., etc., i.e. drop it into the pan and onto the flame.

What I find interesting is the perceived need for such language.
Sometimes it's helpful, when the kitchen is noisy, to have something
sufficiently distinctive-sounding to reduce confusion and errors. One
might also argue that this is a form of shorthand. However, often
there's no real reduction in the number of syllables. So, why do it? I
think it's because diner cookery can be monotonous at times, and this is fun.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com