SC - Re: crab apple verjuis

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 10 07:45:24 PST 2000

CorwynWdwd at aol.com wrote:

> A factor to watch here in Atlantia is the people that apparently believe that
> if it's in the refrigerator it's up for grabs. Several times at Feasts that
> I've helped at or others here in the Barony we've had items come up missing
> the morning we start cooking. Seems somebody wanted eggs or some other
> foodstuffs that were meant for feast. We're talking about getting locks for
> the walk-ins. Shame we have to, but there it is... <sigh>
>
> Corwyn

One of the great backhanded compliments I've seen was having leftovers
stolen after a 12th Night feast. Oh, we gave most of them away anyway,
but this was one of the cook's personal stash, and nobody was more
entitled. It was just kinda funny.

Another, slightly similar problem I've encountered, mst recently at the
Crown Tourney of Doom a couple years ago, was a situation where the
autocrat employed the time-honored, usually effective but non-period
method of having each table send up a server. We actually had roasts,
um, made away with. I've seen this once or twice, with tables full of
giggling people talking about how they'd gotten over on the cooks. Never
mind that they were eating the food someone else had paid for. When I
discovered this, since I knew my math hadn't been so bad as to not
provide enough meat for everyone, I found one or two tables with two
roasts, and I just confiscated them. I've never been so furious at an
event as then. One *fellow* (I decline to call him a gentle) tried to
argue that his knight, Sir Oh-So-Impressive, who was not even present at
the table, needed the extra roast for his household. I told the fellow
his knight could come and discuss his needs with me, as well as the
behavior of his retainers (just about the only time I've used the Peer
Card) in the kitchen, and stalked off, brought the roasts, with
apologies and an offer to carve, to the appropriate tables personally.

These roaches thought this was funny, and I have never been less proud
of my kingdom than at that moment. I can only imagine how they'd have
acted if I didn't have my Really Big Carving Knife held tight against my
thigh the whole time...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy