SC - Re: 12th C Anglo Norman ravioli

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Mar 10 09:25:28 PST 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/10/00 9:32:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> magdlena at earthlink.net writes:
>
> << Platina
>  6.16  Chicken in Verjuice
>
>      Cook chicken with salt meat.  When it is half-cooked, put in the boiling
> pot
>  a mash of verjuice grapes with the stones removed from the middle.  >>
>
> The title of this recipe seems to be a misnomer. Although it says Chicken in
> Verjuice, the recipe clearly indicates that verjuice grapes are seeded,
> mashed and added to the chicken. This would result in a very different dish
> (albeit it tasty) than the addition of verjuice.

Perhaps it is a translation error. The title in Latin is something like
"pullam in acrestum", and while acrestum does generally refer to
verjuice, and even still does today (agresto), it doesn't specifically
refer to "green juice" as the English or French ver jus does. Basically
it refers to a sour _stuff_, which, technically, this is. Just not in
the way me might have assumed. I might have called the dish, in English,
"chicken in a sour sauce", something like that.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com