SC - What is

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:21:46 PST 2000

- --------------0FC97BC0AF7B34D141D2BB65

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > The title of this recipe seems to be a misnomer. Although it says Chicken in
> > Verjuice, the recipe clearly indicates that verjuice grapes are seeded,
> > mashed and added to the chicken. This would result in a very different dish
> > (albeit it tasty) than the addition of verjuice.
>
> Perhaps it is a translation error. The title in Latin is something like
> "pullam in acrestum", and while acrestum does generally refer to
> verjuice, and even still does today (agresto), it doesn't specifically
> refer to "green juice" as the English or French ver jus does.

Pullus in Acresta

Platina
2.26 On Verjuice  {De Acore}

What they commonly call acresta, I would call omphacium, on the authority of Pliny,
and acor [verjuice], on the authority of Macrobius, for omphax, as I have said,
means a still-bitter grape; therefore, I would rather call oil from an unripe berry
omphacium than acresta, which I do not quite see as being from omphax.  [Macrobius]
thus defines verjuice: vinegar is sharper than verjuice, whose force it is agreed
is greater than acresta, which soothes the burning stomach more mildly and does not
emaciate or weaken the body as vinegar is apt to do.(1)  Verjuice is wonderfully
good for an unsettled or upset stomach or thirsty liver, if you use it raw, for it
is less helpful cooked.  We use it easily and healthfully against poison and in
seasoning foods.

1.  Acorem vero ita exprimit: acetum acerbius acore est, cuius vim acresta
vehementiorem esse constat, quae temperatus stomachi compescat ardores, nec ita
corpus emaciat et dissolvat ut acetum solet.

- --------------0FC97BC0AF7B34D141D2BB65

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
Chicken in
dish
Pullus in Acresta
on the authority of Pliny, and <i>acor</i> [verjuice], on the authority
of Macrobius, for <i>omphax</i>, as I have said, means a still-bitter grape;
therefore, I would rather call oil from an unripe berry <i>omphacium</i>
[Macrobius] thus defines verjuice: vinegar is sharper than verjuice, whose
force it is agreed is greater than <i>acresta</i>, which soothes the burning