SC - Classes-long

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Mar 10 18:10:14 PST 2000

In a message dated 3/10/00 11:45:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< I also use crab apples for the making of verjuis. I do however, put the
juice
 in a carboy and let it ferment until it stops, then can it in a pressure
 canner for 10 minutes @ 10 LB pressure.  >>

That's a good idea.
Do you think that this was a period method? I hadn't thought about the stuff
being alcoholic at all, or would that not be a result of letting it ferment
then pressure canning it?
I had the impression ( and I emphasize the word impression, I have no hard
facts only observation) that the preserving quality would have been the acid
or sugar content. I have only seen references to the composition of verjus in
a few manuscripts ie Le Viander, mentions "verjus grapes" but never a
direction to ferment the product.

Please add your thoughts on this.

Hauviette