SC - More Grist for the Mill

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Mar 13 12:07:08 PST 2000

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 02:02:55 EST allilyn at juno.com writes:
> Christianna,
> Thanks for checking that.  It is still a Good Idea, but the fact is
> that the postings are done on computers or typewriters from home,
> generally not on site.  Things in kitchens HAPPEN.  That's why Murphy
>and his  Law are always on the kitchen crew!

	Yep, I will never forget the time in a mundane kitchen when we were
serving a kosher dinner.  One of the dishes was plain white rice in a
chafing dish, which some sous chef came along and thought looked just too
plain.  His answer?  Why, some nice pink popcorn shrimp mixed into the
rice will add that extra bit of color we're looking for!  (Bad ju-ju
bwana, shrimp are definitely NOT kosher!)  You never know when someone
will think, Gee, some of these extra slivered almonds would make a nice
garnish (or whatever) and my friend Galatea goes into shock....

Would you please ask Master Cathal  (with our thanks!) to give us some
caveat?  Something in the nature of:
>  The following ingredients are planned for this feast and will be
> prepared as written to the best of our ability.  If in particular
> doubt or necessity, please query the Kitchen Steward.

	I like the sound of that, and I'll certainly run whatever by him, but it
should come from us, not him.

> We have to worry about implied rights, etc., as chirurgeons, too, so
> I'm used to sighing and going ahead with my preferred activities,
> anyhow.

	Don't get the wrong impression, I still plan to keep doing what I've
done all along, and post the ingredients list, and your idea of a caveat
would be a good addition, too.  I just think this is an issue we as the
cooks of the Known World we should have a very clear handle on.

> Next, they'll be suing us for drain bramage if we get a fact wrong
> in teaching a class!
> Regards,
> Allison,     allilyn at juno.com

	Gee, there were some college professors I would have liked to do that
with!
	Christianna