SC - Publishing ingredients and a request for HELP!!!

The Cheshire Cat cheshire at southcom.com.au
Mon Mar 13 13:33:50 PST 2000

- --- Hank <steinfeld at tqci.net> wrote:
> Unto the cooks of the list does Muirghen send
> greetings
>
> Well I have stepped in it rather spectacularly.  I
> volunteered to cook a feast (November) but in a
> cuisine I am not familiar with.  So I ask your help
> to find delectables for a feast centering in Russia,
> Hungary, Poland, Prussia or even as far south as
> Constantinople.  If you can help I greatly
> appreciate it.  I am looking for things that are
> period and range in flavour.  My plans at the moment
> are three removes (in addition to appetizer and
> desert) of beef, chicken, and pork.  But I am
> intrigued with a venison recipe I recently
> discovered, unfortunately, no documentation.  I am
> willing to do some redacting if required, but am
> fluent only in English!
>
> Thank you in advance for your assistance.
> In Service to Crown and Coronet
> Muirghen

There is a Polish cookbook that came out last year,
called, "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland :
rediscovering a cuisine of the past" by Maria
Dembinska and trnaslation by Magdelena Thomas ;
revised and adepted by William Woys Weaver.
Philadelphia : University of Pennsylvania Press, 1999.
ISBN 0812232240.  $20.97 from Amazon.com.

The original author was a noted historian in Poland.
None of the recipes are completely documented, but
nothing in the book appears to be modern, so I would
say that this is the best we have at this moment.

Master Adamantius recommended this modern cookbook
some time ago: "Paul Kovi's Transylvanian cuisine" by
Paul Kovi.  New York : Crown Publishers, 1985.
ISBN 0517556987.

This is a modern cookbook for Hungarian and Romanian
cuisine.

Dr. Thomas Gloring has mentioned that there are
various recipes in Marx Rumpolt that are listed as
being "Hungarian".  It was also mentioned that he
(Marx Rumpolt was born in Hungary.  I am not sure that
Rumpolt has been translated into English yet.  Dr.
Gloring, would you help with this?

Duke Cariadoc has commented previously on Russian
cuisine.

I don't think that there are any extant Prussian
cookbooks from our period.  Again, I think that Dr.
Gloring is better informed about this.

I hope that this helps.

Huette