SC - Re: Wafer press

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Mar 13 22:52:18 PST 2000

Thomas mentions:  If this recipe does not please you ("Medlers that be
rotten"), there are other recipes, e.g. in the "Rheinfränkisches
Kochbuch"

#31 in the RK is for cabbage, but says you can also do medlars, pears,
etc.

The same cabbage you can also prepare, in this put sweet spice powder and
figs that are simmered in boiling water (or possibly just plumped rather
than cooked).  Give into it wine vinegar, strew raisins and almond
kernels over it.  You can also do medlars, pears and all the other
ingredients (types of fruits or vegetables?) as you choose and not only
the beet greens, but also slices of the beets from which the beet greens
were taken.

This is a fairly loose translation.  I take it to mean that the medlars,
pears, or other fruits could be used in place of the figs and/or raisins.

 I steamed a whole Savoy cabbage for High Table, interleaved it with
steamed chard, making a nice contrast of pale and dark green leaves, and
stuffed bits of figs, raisins, almonds and wine into the crevices of the
leaf bases.  Threw nasturium petals over, to jazz up the looks.  The
hollowed center of the cabbage was full of a sort of large meatball,
taken from Gwen-Cat's 'pumpes' from her translation of Rumpole.  King
Christopher loved it.

Other folks got the pumpes, but we didn't cook the chopped cabbage--too
late and everybody full.

I've never seen or tasted a medlar.  What are they like?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com