SC - Phillipa's project

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Mar 14 12:04:35 PST 2000

> Here's a thought. Anthimus speaks of fine leavened bread being served
> hot from the pan. I suppose it's possible that some
> liturgical bread was
> made in pans, using the stampy-things as a sort of cloche that would
> double as a mold. Bear, have you seen the Basque bread recipe
> in one of
> the Jeff Smith books? Wonderful stuff, baked in a Dutch oven _in_ the
> oven,
>
> Adamantius

I could see using a cake ring with a slightly larger interior diameter than
the stamp, putting the dough in the cake ring, then pressing the stamp into
the dough to form the lid.  A stiff dough would let it work like your Dutch
oven.

The bread pans I think Anthimus is describing are terracotte with a
decorated interior.  The dough is set into the pans and baked, then removed
from the pan and placed with the molded side up.  The ones I've seen like
this were commercial pans for ring breads and loaves divided into wedges for
easy separation.

I haven't seen the Basque bread, but it sounds like Immigrant Ancestors, so
I'll take a look when I get home.

Bear