SC - Available venison email

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at godecookery.com
Tue Mar 14 19:32:49 PST 2000

I'm always up for pheasant and rabbit recipes ;-) For those of you who have
never cooked either, you need to keep in mind that you can use rabbit in
pretty much anything you can use chicken in, keeping in mind that the
exceptions are recipes which require the chicken skin to retain moisture,
and pheasant is a very dry meat, so you need to use either moist methods of
cooking, or bard or lard it.

There's a wonderful black lady, a Southern cook over at the pheasant farm
who does unbelieveably tasty fried pheasant for lunch on Thursdays and
Saturdays, with all the trimmings- I gotta get over there early one of these
days and get her recipe......

In the mean time, while I've got the recipe for the Peacock in its feathers
stashed (Stefan, do you have it up yet?), I'd love a recipe for pheasant
done the same way- I think I've got the raw vs cooked flesh issue handled
for our modern sanitary preferences. If I don't do a butchering class, I'm
still going to try to get a couple of pheasant up there for the Cook's
Potluck, and likely do rabbit for the MK-Potluck and meeting, so any period
recipes you all may have are very welcome.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous