SC - Re: sca-cooks Pennsic Dinner

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 05:04:59 PST 2000

From: "david friedman" <ddfr at best.com>

> At 5:37 PM -0500 3/14/00, Diana wrote:
> >Actually...explain to his Grace that finding a way to live is easier than
> >eating and enjoying "truely period" food - then dying (or worse).
>
> Except that I wasn't arguing for eating things you were allergic to,
> so that point is irrelevant, no? I was arguing for finding period
> recipes that didn't contain the things you were allergic to, instead
> of finding period recipes that did contain the things you were
> allergic to and then replacing them with other things.

Point taken.  Now I will resume playing devil's advocate:

However, I will risk repeating myself: If there are only a handful of dishes
one can safely eat (and not EVERY feast has those same three or five dishes)
then one should find alternatives while keeping the period feel of the dish.
As long as it is made *perfectly* clear that the dish is *not* 'practically
perfectly in every way' (TM Mary Poppins) then the person or persons who
have allergies can enjoy the feast as well.  (especially if that person
happens to be the cook....)

As far as the "her Grace" goes, I know she has avoided events where fish was
going to be served.  Unfortunately, some cooks have even planned fish on the
menu when they think she may attend so as to discourage her attendance.  I
can't vouch for the authenticity of her allergy (did people in period have
allergies? for those who need a smack with a clue-by-four, this was a joke),
but I also don't like being mean to someone who has never done me harm.

Diana d'Avignon