SC - Sca-cooks Pennsic Dinner- Schedule request

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Mar 15 16:55:13 PST 2000

> After that I decided that my belt is yellow (I am a protege) and
> thus give service.  I love to paint scrolls and have been told that I
should
> entry something in A&S.  I tell everyone I paint scrolls as a SERVICE
> my kingdom.  I also teach dance and other middle eastern classes, but
> these, too, are to SERVE my kingdom and the SCA.

 >To tell the truth, I do not enter them because I feel that my work is
just
 >not up to the  level that the judges are looking for.  Why waste their
time?
> Rayne

Because learning isn't a waste of time; and how would
you know that your work isn't up to a certain level
unless you try it?
Berengaria

	Now, Rayne, don't make me come to Texas. :/  SERVICE is not the be-all
and end-all of our existence here.  We are also here to create beauty
around us, and to HAVE FUN!  By doing artistic things, we ARE serving the
Society, and we are having fun -  I know, I've seen you have it.   And,
as you well know, you _are_ very talented and artistic.  (She has this
problem of self-worth folks, it's something we try to work on.  Her
former protege sister had it bad, too, but we got her over it, didn't we,
Rayne?)  Unfortunately, you have also run into some incredible putzes,
and it can certainly leave a bad taste in your mouth.   I don't blame you
for not entering A&S competitions, but you may not run down the quality
of your own artistic abilities.  Now, go out and make a new beautifully
constructed and documented middle eastern outfit for one of your dancing
dolls, and then try one of my hamburger recipes, paint one new scroll,
and keep saying "I am creating beauty and having fun, because it makes me
happy to do so" 100 times.  I will wait.
	The Head Mermayde,
	Christianna