SC - OT - A question of Peers

RichSCA@aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Thu Mar 16 13:55:37 PST 2000

Marcus Loidolt here:
 Many of you know that I've been researching REALLY OLD breeds (known
before 1600)  In doing so I have relied on proven means of researching
both written word and painted page (esp. vital in medieval research)
In this vein I have been studiously collecting illuminated manu. that
show domesticate poultry esp. those of chickens. I have found some, not
as many as I need(is there ever?) but enough to compile some pictures as
to what I need to look for.
  Some of you have heard this before, but those on the polutry lists
have not and I need to hear their ideas and pick their brains too!!

  I have always heard and understood that Dominiques/Domikers/Barred
Rocks, were a uniquely AMERICAN breed, developed here and not seen
elsewhere.
 Problem, I see in Christane de Pisan's 15th cen. book of hours a winter
scene of a farmyard (Nat.Trust Waddesdon Manor MS6 Cat. 8f26.) that
shows a flock of birds with a VERY distinct pattern!! There are a flock
of hens and a cock barred black and white looking for all the world like
a flock o 'Doms'!
  Problem#2 I have also read in Platina's 'Honest Indulgence'( a 14th
cen. book on food and health) a citation for a B&W barred bird called a
'Albegensian', "though now called a Dominican due to the fact that this
Order keeps these birds in all their communities due to their hardiness
and steady laying"
  I DON'T want to upset peoples ideas and conceptions, but somethings
amiss here, yes?
 Are there other B&W barred breeds this could be? Would these not be
possible ancestors of our 'Doms'?
 Just asking for ideas, NOT FLAMES!!!

Marcus, ever in search of medieval chickens!!