SC - Speaking of Birthdays

Marian Rosenberg Brucianna at washcoll.edu
Thu Mar 16 14:33:53 PST 2000

Perhaps the following will help you:

The Dominique breed developed from the fowl introduced during the early
settlement of New England. These were of the type predominating in the south
of England and from which the Sussex and Dorking descended.

It is from the website:  http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/
by the Department of Animal Science - Oklahoma State University.  It covers
many kinds of fowl.  Click on Chickens, then on the breed you want to know
more about.

Rayne

<<
 Marcus Loidolt here:
  Many of you know that I've been researching REALLY OLD breeds (known
 before 1600)
*snipped*
   I have always heard and understood that Dominiques/Domikers/Barred
 Rocks, were a uniquely AMERICAN breed, developed here and not seen
 elsewhere.
  Problem, I see in Christane de Pisan's 15th cen. book of hours a winter
 scene of a farmyard (Nat.Trust Waddesdon Manor MS6 Cat. 8f26.) that
 shows a flock of birds with a VERY distinct pattern!! There are a flock
 of hens and a cock barred black and white looking for all the world like
 a flock o 'Doms'!
   Problem#2 I have also read in Platina's 'Honest Indulgence'( a 14th
 cen. book on food and health) a citation for a B&W barred bird called a
 'Albegensian', "though now called a Dominican due to the fact that this
 Order keeps these birds in all their communities due to their hardiness
 and steady laying"
   I DON'T want to upset peoples ideas and conceptions, but somethings
 amiss here, yes?
  Are there other B&W barred breeds this could be? Would these not be
 possible ancestors of our 'Doms'?
  Just asking for ideas, NOT FLAMES!!!

 Marcus, ever in search of medieval chickens!!