SC - OT - For Our Inverted Friends in Lochac

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 17 03:44:40 PST 2000

Jumping in on this debate.  Perhaps I should say that I am a molecular
biologist and consequently genetically modify bacteria etc quite frequently.
As regards to the food there is the world of difference between selective
breeding, which restricts the genetics to those found naturally in the plant
or very closely related species and genetic modification which introduces
genes from sources that nature could not i.e. snowdrop genes into potatoes.
Of course spraying with chemicals could also "in theory" change the genetic
of the plant as they evolve.  But that is evolution and would happen anyway.
I think that really we can't go back to the food of our ancestors because
even without selective breeding the plants would be slightly different
anyway, just as a response to their environment.  Incidentally I don't eat
GM food only organic.
Rachel
http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/witchwood/
ICQ: 64354245