SC - Site Tokens

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Fri Mar 17 09:56:13 PST 2000

Michael Newton wrote:

> Baptist as a rule don't have Bishops, in fact that is one of the things that
> make Baptist
> different from other Protestants, No Bishops, Creeds, etc. Baptist also
> don't christen or Baptize Babies,
> Methodists who sometimes resemble Baptist in most things do Baptize babies.
> I don't know of any Baptist church that would christen a Baby, Dedication to
> God is another thing they do dedicate but there is no Baptism involved in
> dedication. Baptizing is exclusively for beleivers.

Thank you. Is there anybody else who would like to tell me my experience
was not standard behavior for mainstream Baptists? Please form an
orderly queue. Come on, there's room for everybody.

I realize people are trying to be helpful, but the original point, which
was that a congregation calling themselves Baptists (and we definitely
don't want to start disowning people as members of our own religious
affiliations, do we -- this is really dangerous ground) used matzoh at a
service has long since been obscured. The secondary point, whether these
people are or are not Baptists, is unimportant in this discussion. They
said they were, I took their word for it, just as I'll take the word of
any other Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Calvinists, Seventh-Day
Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses and Shakers on this list that they are
what they say they are.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy