SC - Reuses for leftover worms

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 15:07:58 PST 2000

StellrChef at aol.com wrote:
>I'm not sure if it's safe to ingest or if it's toxic in it's
>concentrated form, so you'll have to check before you try this. But
>you might want to get your hands on a violet essential oil and
>incorporate a few drops into the infusion.

You'd need to be damned careful about this. According to my reading
on essential oils (i blend my own) and aromatherapy, most if not all
violet essential oil does *not* come from violets. What's in a bottle
of so-called, alleged "violet" oil or scent today is another question
entirely. Unless you have an impeccable source who in turn has an
impeccable source, i wouldn't do it. (your immediate supplier might
*think* what they have is "real" or "natural", but they might be
mistaken (some folks seem to think the words "essential oil"
guarantee a natural source), so i'd really recommend checking a bit
farther back up the chain of vendors and suppliers)

My understanding is that at least earlier in this century, violet
scent was imparted by calamus root powder or essence. Calamus is
natural, but is not violet and i don't know how safe it is to eat. I
have made a body powder with it, but i also read that some people are
sensitive and get contact dermatitis from calamus. Calamus was used
to impart its light sweet scent in Elizabethan times in sachets.

As for the candied violets, Lainie, what sort of sugar did you use?
Regular table sugar will be too large. You could try castor sugar, if
you can find it (as far as i understand, it's a finer form of
granulated sugar - and granular will look nicer than powdered, with
is little crystaline sparkles)

Gum arabic was used in period for some things. I sure don't know
about in food. It is a binder, thickener, and adhesive, so its
purpose is to make the sugar stick to the flowers.

I can purchase candied violets at my local gourmet store, but i don't
know how they make them. They color the sugar purple and may use more
than one coating - a layer of powdered, then a layer of fine granular
- - i'm just guessing here, based on appearance.

I also buy violet dragees or pastilles (they aren't what i understand
pastilles to be but that's what they're called on the package).
They're more-or-less round hard "candies" (which is why i'm calling
them dragees) with a light violet flavor and scent, usually with an
anise seed in the center.

Again, what they're scented and flavored with is a mystery. You know,
the package says "natural and artificial flavors" and isn't any more
specific than this.

Anahita al-shazhiyya