SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2013

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Mar 17 15:13:05 PST 2000

> In a message dated 3/16/2000 8:21:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tinyzoo at aracnet.com writes:
>
> << The very few Big events that I have been to, when there was a feast served
>  it was always ONLY for the crown and entourage.  NEVER open to the
>  populace, even for a fee.  I remember once there was this impressive HUGE
>  roast beef in a delicious smelling ... au jus? that permeated the entire
>  encampment.  I inquired about it, and was treated rather shortly and told
>  that it was ONLY for the Corwn and Nobles.  That the peasantry would be
>  allowed to purchase a bowl of onion soup if they had signed up ahead of
>  time.  (We had not, because we knew nothing of it!)  It was rather
>  disapointing, and seemed exclusive and... clickish.  I think it is one of
>  the things that had soured my husband's taste for the SCA. They claim it is
>  open to everyone, and indeed everyone is welcome to pay the grounds fee and
>  walk around and look, but you have to be a special member of "the club" to
>  really take part in the extra fun stuff. >>

Well, life is like that sometimes. They won't let me in the Chivary
meeting either, and I understand the beer there can be pretty good. ;-)

I think I have an idea what you were talking about though, and it was a
private feast. They do that sometimes for the Royals, (especially if
they have travelled a long way- which is often because An Tir is a
damned big Kingdom) so that they can have a nice dinner away from the
'public eye' (having worked retinue I know how important this can be
sometimes), and have a chance to have a leisurely chat with some of the
nobles and peers from the area, to consult, seek counsel, ask questions
of, etc. And if it is private, that is that, I suppose. I don't know if
SCA funds were used for them- when I held a private feast it ALL came
out of my own pocket, thank you (several years back when I had a little
teensy extra occasionally). And I invited who I wanted.

I am sorry that you felt the response to your inquiries were treated
shortly. It might have been that it was the fifth time someone asked. It
might have been a weary cook who was having problems. It may have been
that you had stumbled into a private camp and they weren't expecting the
curious. But If you were cooking for a family dinner or a party with
your friends and a stranger (or even a next-door neighbor!) appeared on
your porch wanting to know what you were doing and how much would it
cost to come eat- what would you think? (I know in this neighborhood,
I'd close the door in a hurry, and call the police. But then I live
downtown and there's lots of 'transients')

As to exclusivity- there's 'open', and there's 'open'. Anybody can walk
into a church and attend a service. But not just anybody can attend a
meeting of the Board of Deacons. Men generally don't attend the Ladies
Luncheon. And when the men go on a weekend Retreat- I DON'T WANT TO
KNOW. The Elks Club is open to the public, but there are committees and
things that aren't. And god knows the Masons have some closed meetings!

I guess what I'm saying is- don't take personal offense. Stick around-
play, be helpful and cheerful and people will start including you in
things. But you must remember this is a Society- not an exhibition in
Vegas or even a Ren Faire- it is a mini-culture, not a show. And like
any culture, some parts aren't accessible to all. But the longer you are
in it, the more are.

'Lainie